I'm WIPped.

Monday, May 5, 2008

I had a fit of honesty last night. Well, increased honesty, anyway. I started photographing pictures of some WIPs for Ravelry, and I got carried away. By the end of the night, I had uploaded significant portions of my stash and nearly all of my WIPs, excluding only the ones I was really embarrassed about.

It was a bit of a shock when I was done. Remember that Yarn Harlot essay about when she decides to haul out all her WIPs and start finishing them? It was like that. I didn't find identical single socks the way she did, but it was pretty close. I found a pair of socks that only needs the second toe grafted. I found two pairs of mittens in progress. There were two sweaters roughly three-quarters done, and at least one more sweater I'm not admitting to and am planning to frog. There were more barely-started afghans than I could handle without the bracing influence of a strong beverage.

The end result? 16 WIPs in Ravelry, and at least five more I'm pretending I didn't see. This is probably some kind of a statement on my character, but I'm choosing to turn it into challenge:

WIPped into Shape Month



Purpose: To cut back on the number of WIPs in my yarn closet.

Goal: Cut my number of WIPs in half in one month (May 5 to June 5).

Strategy: I have my eye on these projects:
Stacy pulli Mermaid socks WIP: The Scarf Boring socks
A-squared cardi WIP: Geo Squares afghan WIP: Candy Mountain Afghan WIP: Simple Seven socks
...which are all reasonably near completion. The list may change, though, since I have more socks and two pairs of mittens that would involve less work. The reason I'm not focussing on them right away is that I'm afraid knitting socks and sock-like things so much would make me really really crazy. I like socks, but not that much. I need a break from the monotony.

On the other hand, that's how I got into this mess in the first place.

Reward: Should I successfully complete half my WIPs during the month, I will allow myself to make a knitted coat. Possibly this one.

Now I'm off to tackle a WIP or three. I think I'll start with those Boring socks, which only needs the second toe grafted. That's, what, a 10 minute project? For 100 Knit Wars XP, I can handle that.

0 comments: