I do not fear change.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

In fact, I embrace it to the point of undertaking it just for the heck of it. (It's the furniture-rearranging gene that was passed down from my grandmother.)

Today's significant changes are two in number and bloggy in nature. The big one first: I'm consolidating my blogs into one big blog. The old pages will stay up, but I won't be posting there any more. That means that this page will be Me HQ.

This move is totally contrary to my usual behavior, so I fully expect myself to feel a little wrong-footed when it comes to what goes in the blog. Enjoy the ride with me.

The second is that I am instituting a monthly Yarn Weigh-in, to occur at the end of each month. Mainly I've decided to do it this way because keeping a running total was slowing down my creative process (read: making me think before I cast on yet another WIP). I figure a yarn diet is like every other diet: you don't stand on the scale until you see the number you want. You try to do things that are better for you and check in at the scale periodically to see how it's going. Besides, it's way harder to keep track of every scrap of yarn I touch than it is to do a half-hour monthly inventory.

What am I working on now? Well, after the Bridal Shawl I discovered that working on a deadline, with daily goals, really helps me get moving. And since I already had a deadline in place- July 11- I did the math and realized that that leaves me ten days to finish my House sweater.

Ten days is not a whole lot of time.

I started setting daily goals, because if I left it with just a deadline, I'd be hating my needles and cursing my yarn at 11 pm on July 10. The daily goals are pretty steep, though. For instance, at the end, I set a goal to knit a sleeve each day.

Haha. Yeah, right.

Fortunately, I've left myself an escape clause. This is as much because of my knitting speed as because I think I'm going to run out of yarn, and because it's hot in July. This House sweater may end up being a House vest. I'll do ribbing instead of sleeves and call the thing good.

Giving myself a day or two to recover, I'll have another week to finish off some Quidditch socks to complete my book release ensemble for the party on July 21. I hope no one will blame me if after this, I refuse to ever knit anything again.

But the outfit will be awesome.

0 comments: