Senseless Saturday

Saturday, August 4, 2007

From BBC Sport:

England's experimental team ran up a record score against Wales as they put a second-string Principality side to the sword at Twickenham on Saturday.

...

Fly-half Jonny Wilkinson, who looked sharp throughout, kicked 18 points as a dominant display by England's massive pack gave him an armchair ride in temperatures of 30C in London.

...

Wales infringed in desperation and England kicked the penalty into the corner before a machine-tooled catch and drive from the line-out saw Easter - like Perry looking much fitter - power over once again.

This time Wilkinson converted and with Wales looking under increasing pressure up front a big score was already on the cards.

The hosts collected a third try before half-time when the England pack once again put the Welsh on the back foot and a hot-stepping Wilkinson set up a beach head from which Borthwick plunged over.


I read things like this and think, We really don't speak the same language, do we? I mean, what's this about an armchair ride? Isn't 30C a bit hot to be carried about in an La-Z-Boy? There are all these words that I recognized- "romp", "fly", "massive", "beach", "machine-tooled",- but I can't put them together into anything that makes sense. The reporter might just have well written about his colorless green dreams sleeping furiously, for all the sense I can make of it.

No wonder rugby hasn't made it big on this side of the pond. Nobody can understand what the commentators are talking about.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find a metal detector. Somewhere between casting off one sock and casting on for another, I lost a dpn, and I'm down to three. I really like the first sock, and I need that needle to make the second one. Wish me luck.

1 comments:

Masterwabbit said...

About the armchair ride...I think it's a term for when the guy gets lifted up onto his fellow team members in celebration.