Disciplers

Monday, October 22, 2007

I have to admit, I skim my blog subscriptions more than I read them these days. This is why it is beneficial to have short paragraphs, small words, and plenty of pictures on your blog, because that's what it usually takes to get my attention. Dan Edelen's post got my attention with a pretty picture, but reading it has gotten me thinking. And wishing.

Dan is apparently lucky enough to have had bad experiences with "disciplers". Myself, my experience with "disciplers" ended around the time I entered middle school. He describes the ways discipling relationships can go wrong; I wish I could experience some of them.

Who am I learning the faith from?

I have to ask myself, again and again: where can I find real spiritual food?

The more I learn, the more I am learning that I am just beginning to understand the basics of the gospel. What I was taught for years about the Christian faith was hardly gospel at all. But now that I have tasted the real thing, I'm desperate to find someone who can feed me more of it.

But who? Where? Where is the godly person who can take time to teach? Where is the one who teaches with authority? My mentors in the faith are people with blogs and podcasts, people I may never meet face-to-face. The Bible is impenetrable to me without someone whom I can ask for help and guidance. But it seems to me that those who teach don't know, and those who know don't teach, so where is the one who will show me how to follow Jesus?

Somebody please catechize me.

0 comments: