The new obsession

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Puppy wants to do the big reveal of the new WIP; he's pretty excited!

puppy

Look! Look!
It's a log cabin from leftover sock yarn!

puppy displays the WIP

I do so love log cabin knitting. I don't know why. I know that huge amounts of garter stitch should be painfully boring, but it's not. It's great. No decreases, no purling, no worrying about color changes. You just pick a side, pick up some stitches, and go- no worries, no planning, just yarn and knitting. Very zen.

This is what grew out of that swatch-sized bit from yesterday; I've been knitting on it all day. I have since discovered that I have a burning need to knit more socks, so that their leftovers can be incorporated into the blankie. And those socks should be anklets, so that there's more yarn left over. Actually, I have discovered that I am sorely tempted to forgo the sock part altogether and convert my sock yarn stash into one large light-weight blankie.

And yes, blankie, not blanket. This thing is for me, and I don't care how weird the color combinations are. It's knitting nostalgia. It's souvenir stash in functional form. I remember fondly each project whose leftovers are in this patch. It's comforting knitting, and I fully expect it to grow into a mostly-grown-up comfort blankie.

Not to say that I'm paying no attention at all to how it looks. I'm trying to plan what happens, now that the stripes are so wide, when self-striping yarn gets worked in. I'll probably make several little blocks, like the one I have now, and put them together.

Puppy wants to model the blankie (and give his owner an excuse to take more gratuitous knitting pictures).

puppy modeling

Ah, but what are puppy and owner not quite as excited about?

puppy dismayed

Weaving in ends. Ah. Every knitter's favorite part. If I were smart, I'd start weaving them in now, but what fun would that be? Besides, I just remembered some sock yarn that has failed to turn into socks four times, and I think it's going to have to go into this blankie...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! It looks so funky. Amazing...